What is this about?
The Coal Magazine is an independent international magazine. Most of the Staff are from New York, they describe themselves like this:
"COAL is a quarterly collection of literary and visual art which aims to expose the odd, the overlooked, and the eccentric. Our magazine relies primarily on submissions in order to provide a diverse experience for our readers.COAL aims to expose new voices, and remains motivated by its contributors' images, words, and the stories they tell."
You can find me on 3 Pages in their 1st Issue "Sexuality" somewhere on Page 32 (If I remember correctly). They featured 3 of my paintings.
Some of the other artists in it:
I really hope this wasn't my last entry in any magazine.
Thinks you should know about submitting your art to a magazine:
- Really only submit your best pieces
- Have alternative ways on which they can reach you (Mail Email Address was blacklisted by Gmail during this whole process) - for example social media like Facebook or Twitter
- you might not get popular over night, especially with small independent magazines
- Don't spam them, because chances are that they get a lot of submissions
- Read carefully what they are writing on their page. Look for deadlines, maybe you can create a masterpiece until you reach the deadline
- Ask them for exclusive art, one which you only made for the magazine
- Keep track where you already have submitted some of your art
- Have something that represents you like a website/portfolio. They will share it on their profiles in social networks. You don't want to miss that chance.
How to find those magazines
A great way is to use Twitter and search for tweets containing "submit art", "art wanted" or "accepting submissions". A method which I recently discovered is Magcloud. Many small magazines publish their issues there and so you can find those.